It has been my pleasure to be Regional Director this year. While it has been a busy and productive year, engagement, involvement and enthusiasm is on the rise throughout the BC/Yukon Region.
- Building our region to act collectively to improve our members’ lives.
Respect & Integrity
- Endeavoured to ensure all regional concerns are fully addressed while balancing and protecting the national interests of the Institute.
- Successful in resolving issues and concerns of members and constituent bodies at the national level.
- Implemented a number of initiatives to maximize our effectiveness and efficiency in the Region while still ensuring all our commitments are fully met.
- Ensured that our resources are centred on our members.
- Attended meetings by conference call, when appropriate, to reduce travel costs to and from Ottawa.
- Attempting to plan our events well in advance to secure ideal meeting locations, establish meeting dates and save money.
- Ensuring PIPSC values are respected by building partnerships and endeavouring to have all members interact with respect and integrity.
- Focus on the Better Together’s key messages.
- Designed and implemented specific training on the Better Together tools and techniques for our regional leadership.
- Actively meeting with Branches, Groups, Sub Groups and Retired Members Guild Chapters, as well as stewards and members, to discuss actions to increase member participation and cooperation between constituent bodies.
- Represented the Region at rallies, protests and in the community. These included the Unifor led rally at the old Kits Coast Guard Base in Vancouver and at the 19th of the month rallies.
- Talking about the public science and the muzzling of public scientists to the media. Listen to the Global TV interview on May 19.
- Encouraging the membership’s participation in the 19th of the month events.
- Emphasizing member engagement and involvement in a fun and entertaining way at our Steward Council.
- Focusing on cooperation between all the Groups within PIPSC with a Group Presidents Panel to talk about issues that impact all members.
Knowledge Driven Advocacy
- Taken on a leadership role as Chair of the Executive Compensation Committee.
- Asked by the President to be the Board Liaison to the Science Advisory Committee, as the only person on the Board with a science background.
- Working to ensure our national strategic directions “Mobilizing for Success,” “Evidence-Based Representation” and “Investing for Success” are incorporated into regional planning.
- Providing input into the strategic planning process to facilitate effective process and communication to ensure a stronger and credible public voice for PIPSC.
- Championing the importance of an appropriate governance model for the Institute.
Broadening Our Horizons
- Working to expand our partnerships and participation with our fellow Federal Unions and the BC Federation of Labour.
- Raising visibility and engagement of members by increasing events and activities in many parts of the Region.
- Expanded involvement with the emphasis on Better Together and member mobilization for the Federal Election.